Sign Up for Safety Updates
Carbon Monoxide Safety
The best way for homeowners to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is to have a qualified service technician check appliances and venting systems annually, preferably before the heating season begins. Chimneys, flues, and vents should be free of debris (leaves and animal nests) and snow and ice. Homeowners need to consider installing CO monitors on every level of the house. A gas oven or range-top burners should not be used to provide space heating, portable heaters are never to be used indoors (unless they are designed and approved for indoor use), and the use of a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating is never acceptable.