Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
Sign Up for Can-Do Journal Updates
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can build up in a home if gas appliances are not properly vented or are used improperly. Carbon monoxide is an invisible danger that is colorless, odorless, tasteless, but very toxic. It can make you and your family sick and can even be deadly.
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and nausea. If you suspect you or a family member shows physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, act immediately Move everyone out of the home immediately and call 911 or your local fire department.
Here are a few safety measures you should review with your family to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Never use a gas oven or a range-top to heat your home.
- Never use portable gas-powered heaters indoors unless they’re designed and approved for indoor use.
- Never use an outdoor barbecue grill indoors for cooking or heating.
- Never use a portable generator in a garage or other enclosed area.
- Keep chimneys, flues, and vents free of snow, ice, and other debris.
- Consider installing a UL-listed carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home.
For more information about carbon monoxide safety, visit the National Safety Council’s page on carbon monoxide safety: www.nsc.org/home-safety/safety-topics/other-poisons/carbon-monoxide. Visit www.propane.com/safety/ to learn more about keeping your propane home safe.