Swift Greenhouses Case Study Swift Greenhouses Case Study
Established in 1952, Swift Greenhouses is a family business in Gilman, Iowa, that grows approximately 1,300 varieties of perennials and herbs. It operates on 4.5 acres and uses several types of propane heaters — including forced-air furnaces and radiant heat — to provide the diverse range of optimal temperatures needed for each type of plant and its specific stage of growth. The family business is always planning for the future and chose propane because it was an investment they knew would be reliable for years. The fuel has quickly proven its worth.
“OUR PROPANE HEATERS ALLOW US TO RUN A PRECISE 70-DEGREE NIGHT AND 60-DEGREE DAY. THIS HELPS THE PLANTS FLOWER SOONER, MAKES THEM WELL-BRANCHED, REDUCES DISEASE, AND IS BETTER FOR CUSTOMERS.” SCOTT SWIFT
- 50 propane-powered boilers and forced air furnaces.
- 2 30,000-gallon tanks.
- Propane heating systems maintain precise room temperatures within 0.5° F of the desired temperature.
- Clean burning propane furnaces need less maintenance than fuel oil furnaces.
- Propane dehumidifiers increase plant quality by preventing mold & mildew.
- Propane is a clean, non-toxic fuel that’s safe to use around plants and animals.