Propane autogas vehicle sales increased by almost 8 percent in 2016 compared with 2015 sales figures, according to data compiled by the Propane Education & Research Council. The more than 14,000 vehicles sold in 2016, comprising light-, medium-, and heavy-duty propane autogas trucks (OEM dedicated or aftermarket conversions), constitutes the most vehicles sold in a single year since 2012.
In fact, over the past four years, the total number of propane autogas vehicles on the road has grown by more than 35 percent. As of 2016, there are nearly 200,000 vehicles now being used in U.S. private and public fleets.
“We’re thrilled to see so many new fleets take advantage of all propane autogas has to offer,” said Michael Taylor, director of autogas business development for PERC. “We don’t expect propane autogas sales to slow down in the future, especially as more fleet owners and managers experience the lower cost of ownership of the fuel compared to other options out there.”
In 2016, a majority of the propane autogas vehicle sales — about 67 percent — were aftermarket conversions, compared with 33 percent for OEM dedicated vehicles. Light-duty vehicles also made up a majority of sales at 62 percent compared with medium- and heavy-duty models, which combined to make up the other 38 percent.
Forecasts from PERC show continued growth for propane autogas in the public and private fleet markets. By 2020, another 79,900 propane autogas vehicles are expected to be added to U.S. roadways, according to PERC.
More information about propane autogas vehicles is available at propane.com/on-road-fleets. Fleet managers or owners interested in learning more or staying in touch with industry news can also sign up for The Autogas Refuel quarterly email newsletter here.
About PERC: The Propane Education & Research Council is a nonprofit that provides leading propane safety and training programs and invests in research and development of new propane-powered technologies. PERC is operated and funded by the propane industry. For more information, visit propane.com.